Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Fiesta Preparations



This morning when I looked out from our balcony I saw the beginnings of fiesta preparations. Prominently displayed on the lamp posts in the Plaza Mayor are signs announcing the bull fights here in Sahagún. There is a bull ring at the edge of town and I’ve seen workmen rebuilding steps and preparing it for action for several weeks now. The posters are the first clear indication of what we will soon experience here. Not that I plan to attend the event, but we will be treated to the local version of the “running of the bulls” just like in Pamplona. Well, not quite. In Sahagún there will be a running of the cows. Apparently, they will bring in a herd of cows with horns and run them through the streets. We will witness this event, since everything that happens here centers on the Plaza Mayor.


Looking down from our balcony I saw the local policemen stepping off the width of the plaza and planning for the concerts that will take place here. There are posters up for the concerts of various rock groups. The concerts begin after midnight and continue to 3 AM we are told. I’ll probably be in the thick of it, with my new white pants and my shirt from the peña (social club) that has invited us to be their guests. Olé!!

No comments:

Post a Comment