Monday, July 21, 2008

Registering Voters Again

Elyn and I spent another three hours today registering voters and got 12 more on the rolls. We find this very satisfying, but tiring work. My "smile" muscles were fatigued after the stint. We met several people we knew and had good conversations. Again, most people are happy we are there, right outside the entrance doors of the local co-op market. A few give us the cold shoulder, but others more than make up for it.

If you are trying to think of something to do to help restart democracy in this country I highly recommend voter registration. For those who don't sign up or tell us they already have, it is a regular reminder of how important their vote is. We'll just keep smiling and asking everyone who passes, "Is your voter registration up to date?" That always causes them to stop and think before going on, and a second or two on a regular basis is just what we need to turn this country around.

Tired, but satisfied with our day's work here in Santa Fe, NM.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. It so important to get people out there voting. Even though I cannot vote in the country I live in (I am not German), people here do tend to vote (usual numbers for national elections end-of-60s to mid-70 percentile). Such numbers allowed the Green party to be elected in as a coalition party into the national leadership, and thus this led to environmental laws sorely needed.

    I hope this post motivates others to do work similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are, as they say, putting your money where your mouth is. I think it is extremely commendable and my hat is off to you and your partner.

    To me this represents true patriotism.

    ReplyDelete