Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rosetta Stone

I’m spending every spare minute learning Spanish using the computer program Rosetta Stone. Even though we lived for a whole year in Spain a decade ago I never really learned to speak Spanish. Now I am determined to do better for this Spanish junket. Rosetta Stone is a great program that offers total immersion in the Spanish language—not one word of English in the entire program. I am learning reading, writing, speaking, and understanding spoken language. Already, after only a few days, I’m feeling more confident.

Our experience is like that of other English speakers we’ve talked with. If you give it a good faith effort the native speakers are quite tolerant of poor grammar and pronunciation. I just want to be able to meet them half way. A bonus is that learning another language is great exercise for the “little grey cells.”

2 comments:

  1. There are so many new sites available to help you for free on the web. There are a few like livemocha.com, italki, and eduFire that I believe all are free and I have heard good things about these sites through searching the web. Rosetta Stone is a great way to learn any language but I think if you use some of the other free tools from any language site you will be successful. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out. I will need to make sure they are Spanish for Spain. I'm learning Castilian with ALL the lisps!

    ReplyDelete