Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hate Speech in the USA

Last night we viewed one of the most disturbing TV segments we've seen. It was on Bill Moyers Journal on PBS. The segment dealt with the hate speech of the so-called "Shock Jocks" on the radio and TV. For the first time, I heard these people telling people to take us "liberals" out and shoot us. At least one misguided soul has actually gone to a Unitarian Church and did just that. The segment brought anger and fear to me, since I still call myself a "liberal" and didn't imagine that I was putting my life in danger in that way. If you haven't seen the segment, I urge you to go to this link and view it. CLICK HERE 

Just another reason that I am seriously considering a permanent move outside the US.

3 comments:

  1. Chin up, Gary, you are not alone. Check out this site recommended by another TGB reader:
    http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise/reflections-white-anti-intellectualism

    Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently posted the twisted meaning of words in politics versus the dictionary definition. When I looked up liberal I found the following:

    Tolerant, broad minded, favoring reform or progress,

    If you take the opposite you have the description of conservative.

    Intolerant, narrow minded, favoring the statue quo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana Milbank of the Washington Post the following from a Sarah Palin rally yesterday:

    "Palin, speaking to a sea of 'Palin Power' and 'Sarahcuda' T-shirts, tried to link Obama to the 1960s Weather Underground. 'One of his earliest supporters is a man named Bill Ayers,' she said. ('Boooo!' said the crowd.) 'And, according to the New York Times, he was a domestic terrorist and part of a group that, quote, 'launched a campaign of bombings that would target the Pentagon and our U.S. Capitol,' " she continued. ('Boooo!' the crowd repeated.)

    'Kill him!' proposed one man in the audience."


    Hate speech goes to the public stage as the Republican ticket flails.

    ReplyDelete