Thursday, September 4, 2008

Slogans


One political activity that I am working on these days is careful monitoring of the Republican propaganda machine. I am registered in the McCain campaign at one of my alternate email addresses and I read everything the campaign puts out. I also monitor the video ads they are preparing to flood the markets with. One characteristic that stands out as I monitor these sources is their skillful use of two- and three-word slogans.


George Bush’s speech to the Republican Convention was filled with them. I have commented about the “angry left” as an example, but other examples could be sited. Just after her speech before the convention, Sarah Palin signed on to a choice bit of sloganeering which, I’m sure was created by the Roves of the campaign. Here are some examples:


“At a time when our nation is fighting a war to defeat radical Islamic extremism and our economy is at a crossroads, America needs John McCain and Reform Republicans who have the resolve, judgment and experience to lead.”

Note “radical Islamic extremism” and “Reform Republicans.”

“Please help us get our message past the liberal media filter and directly to the voters by making a secure online contribution of $2,000, $1,000, $500, $250, $100, $50 or $25 to RNC Victory 2008 today.”

Note “liberal media filter.” What liberal media? I’ve noted how the media has been silent for the most part about the police state tactics used on the streets of the Twin Cities. Is that a “liberal media?”

“The Obama Democrats and their liberal special interests allies are spending unprecedented amounts of money on get-out-the-vote drives.”

Note “Obama Democrats” and “liberal special interests.”

I urge you to be watching for these two- and three-word slogans, which are intended to influence us without shedding any light on the real issues that this country faces. It has been the skillful use of slogans such as these that has given the Republicans victories in recent years. Only an informed citizenry can protect ourselves against this fogging of thought. We must develop a more critical filter for sloganeering from our politicians.


3 comments:

  1. "fogging of thought" is a great slogan. I think I will start using it.

    As I cited on my blog, the Republican party are great at changing the subject. And as has been noted before, a lie told often enough becomes the truth. They really know how to stay on message and repeat, repeat, repeat until it becomes embedded in everyone's skull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Darlene. I'll take a look at your blog this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very useful warning on how to read/listen to this stuff! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete