Sunday, August 17, 2008

Those Multinational Corporations

I can’t resist quoting and commenting on Ronni Bennett’s blog Time Goes By. Here is another quote:


Corporate Accountability
• One of the issues not much addressed so far in this election cycle is lack of corporate accountability, exacerbated by many policies of Republicans in general and the Bush administration in particular. Here’s a ruefully amusing video on that topic titled Insurance Company Rules. [1:42 minutes]


By the way, don’t pass up that video. It is worth your viewing time. That there is a total lack of accountability for corporations in this brave new world goes without saying. Governments seem to be unable to police corporate practices, partly because the lawmakers are on the corporate payrolls, and partly because corporations are larger than governments. They are “multinational” which means, if you haven’t been watching, they are not controlled by ANY government. If the going gets rough in one country they simply move to another one that will welcome them with open arms.


My question is: “Who are these evil multinational corporations?” The answer, unfortunately, is that they are US. I just looked at my A. G. Edwards monthly statement and there, nestled in the portfolios of the mutual funds that hold my life savings are a good cross section of these multinational crooks. My broker has been doing his job of making my nest egg grow (or at least not lose as much as the market as a whole).


I’m sitting here struggling to find a good closer for this little rant and the only thing that is coming is the hackneyed saying “we have met the enemy and they are us.” Tired, but true, and the best I can come up with at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment