Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Weekend Retreat

I’ve been away at a weekend retreat and haven’t had time for blog updates for the most part. I’ve been getting home in late evening and I check up on the blogs and do what is necessary for routine upkeep.

This retreat was called Breathing Alive and centered on the work of Reshad Feild, a British mystic, teacher, and musician. The retreat was to introduce a new edition of Feild’s book by the same title. Much of this work is somewhat familiar because Feild traveled in many of the same spiritual circles I have been involved with, including the Sufi Order International, and the Mevlevi order, which is known for the turning of the so-called “whirling dervishes.” We engaged in very deep meditation and breathing practices, learned the fundamentals of the turn, and held several Dkirs (Sufi chanting practices involving chanting sacred names). Our weekend was enriched by the presence of a cook from the Feild group who served us wonderful, nutritious meals that he prepares as a spiritual practice. I really enjoy being with persons of the Sufi persuasion because they are so open and loving. While it was clear to me that I have moved beyond Sufism as my primary spiritual practice, it was good to revisit those territories.

No comments:

Post a Comment