Friday, June 27, 2008

Homeland Insecurity

Wow! What a harvest of wisdom from our federal government today. I can hardly wait for the sequels. Today I learned that our supreme court ruled that the second amendment to the constitution (the right to bear arms) applies to handguns in an urban setting, thus striking down many city’s attempts to control violence in their streets. Simultaneously, I learn that laptop computers are being confiscated at airports in the US and sometimes not returned for long periods of time. So, now my laptop is a threat to national security, but your handgun isn’t. Amazing!

Within an hour I learn of the story of a dog named “Blast.” Blast’s owners were traveling abroad and they called home to ask the dog sitter if Blast was OK. Enter Homeland Security in the form of a telephone call asking if they had made such a call on such and such a date. The people thought at first that it was some kind of joke, but the federal agent assured them that the government was deadly serious and they were suspects. My friend, Judi, assures me that this is not an urban legend—that she had heard it directly from the folks it happened to.

Don’t you feel more secure hearing all this? Is this a great country or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment