Monday, June 30, 2008

Massage


I have received as many as a dozen forms of massage during the past 15 years. I credit massage with keeping my body healthy and flexible and my attitudes youthful and forward looking. In addition I have received training in five massage forms and employ them as needed with clients.

My earliest formal massage training was at the Body Electric School in Oakland, California. Of course, I had been trained in various erotic massage techniques in Body Electric workshops both before and after the formal training. The formal training in the traditional “Swedish” massage established my basic massage techniques. This form of massage involves several strokes, often with French names (effleurage, petrassage, etc.) If you are wondering about French names in Swedish massage, the truth is that this form of massage was actually an American invention. At the time it was being developed in California, Sweden was considered to be the wildest, sexually free place on earth and they gave the massage that name to make it attractive. Swedish massage concentrates on long gliding strokes, punctuated by kneading, percussion, vibration, and stretching. If you have received a massage in the US you are likely to have encountered Swedish massage.

After several years of giving and receiving massage I chose Leslie Bruder (see photo above) as a massage therapist. Leslie had originated a unique modality that she called Phenomenal Touch. This massage technique involves working simultaneously on both sides of the body, which is accomplished by using the therapist’s legs, body, and to a limited extent, arms to raise the client up off the table. How this is accomplished without requiring superhuman strength is too complicated to go into here, but it can be done without significant effort and can be maintained with both hands being free to do the massage. Working both sides of the body significantly increases the depth of the massage without causing discomfort to the client. I was amazed and appreciative of what Leslie was able to do and wanted to incorporate it in my own work. I began taking short, day-long training sessions, followed by a week-long training in a remote area of Mexico. The following year, Leslie asked me to be one of her assistants for the Mexico training and I also served as an assistant in the first Institute for Phenomenal Touch Massage, a yearlong training that is now in its fourth year.

Leslie Bruder is also an expert in hot stone massage and blends it with her own techniques. I studied and received hot stone massage during all the time I was studying with Leslie. In this modality smooth basalt stones are heated in water and applied to the body using massage oil to keep them from sticking. The stones may be left in one position, but in Leslie’s method, she uses them as massage tools, moving them over large areas of the body before leaving them in one position when they have cooled to a comfortable temperature. A hot stone massage can be a mystical, other worldly experience that has to be experienced to be appreciated.

In the yearlong Institute for Phenomenal Touch Massage two other modalities were introduced and basic techniques were taught. The Trager Approach, which was invented by Milton Trager in the 1940s, is a called “movement education” by Trager International. The instructor made it very clear that we were NOT being taught the Trager method, just being introduced to certain fundamental ideas. In this modality the therapist senses the natural rhythm of the body or body part by placing her hands on the part and “listening” with the touch. Gradually that natural rhythm is sensed and can be gently amplified by rocking and vibrating the body part. Great sensitivity is required to make sure that one isn’t just inserting one’s own rhythm into the process. In the hands of an expert the Trager work is extremely relaxing and freeing to the body. I took very easily to this approach and could get “in sync” with the body I was touching and begin to move it effortlessly. While I would never pretend that I was a Trager practitioner, I use the basic techniques I learned as a part of my tools.

The second modality that was introduced is Watsu, a water-based massage technique. Watsu is a gentle massage and stretching technique that is performed in a pool of warm water. The receiver is continuously supported while being floated, cradled, rocked and stretched. The deeply relaxing effects of warm water and nurturing support, combine with Watsu's movements, stretches, massage and point work, to create a bodywork with a range of therapeutic benefits and potential healing on many levels. While I enjoyed receiving Watsu and learned the basic techniques, I have never used them since because of the requirements of a large pool of very warm water.

Those are the five forms of massage in which I have received training. In addition I have received many other modalities, including acupressure, lomilomi, myofascial release, shiatsu, and trigger point massage. I will not attempt to describe these modalities, but you can Google them and get more information.

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating! Do you recommend massage to keep yourself so youthful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Massage has certainly helped to keep me a young 71-year-old! I recommend it highly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A real good read on the complementary therapies, Gary. Many thanks.

    I tried most of them when I lived in London and Cornwall, and trained in Swedish massage combined with Shiatsu, also Aromatherapy combined with kinesiology. I agree that choice is important and that the recipients decide what is most beneficial for them.

    So uplifting too to know that you've found a wonderful partner and are sharing the best time of your life.

    Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again, Ladyluz. Yes, this is the best time of my life. I am enjoying all the elder bloggers sites. We must have some time on our hands to be surfing this much.

    ReplyDelete