Wednesday, June 25, 2008

More On Hellerwork

This is a followup to the previous posting on my experience with Hellerwork.

When Elyn and I were walking the 500-mile pilgrimage across Spain in 1997 I had trouble with my left hip. I was carrying a rather heavy pack every day and walking most of the time. Somewhere along the road I found that my left hip simply locked up and wouldn’t move. Very painful. I gave it rest and it was relieved. My doctor told me that I would soon be a candidate for a hip replacement, since there was permanent damage to the joint that would only get worse.

While I was seeing the Hellerworker to resolve the frozen right shoulder she did a careful examination of how I was walking and determined that my tendency to throw the left foot outward was exerting a rotation on the hip, which was causing the irritation. She did very deep work on the left leg and gave me strict instructions about how to change my gait when walking. At first I had to be constantly aware of the new gait, which involved concentrating on my feet being aimed more or less straight forward. After several months the new gait became habitual and the Hellerwork treatments changed the organization of the system. The hip problems went away and have never returned even though we have walked long distance trails in France in recent years. I could have had a hip replacement by now and be suffering the long-term effects of that artificial device. I’m very thankful that I opted for the “bogus” treatment instead of the “scientific” treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment