Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Lightening Up


Today's lead article on Time Goes By (just click on the that name to go there) begins with these statements:

"As of yesterday, according to Gallup, only five percent of Americans hold a positive view of the economy. (They’re probably all hedge fund managers.) Fifteen percent of us have a mixed view and 79 percent think the economy has gone to hell. [It's up to 80% today.]

That’s not exactly how Gallup words it. “Negative” is their mild take, and mine is more polite than I feel. But however you say it, there are few of us who aren’t hurting financially."

She goes on to describe cost cutting measures she is taking in the face of what many believe is the beginning of a major depression. I know we are all seeing the effect of ever-rising prices on our standard of living. It is particularly sobering to those of us who are on relatively fixed incomes that don't keep up with hyperinflation, largely brought on by the increases in gas prices.

Meanwhile, our government is spending billions of dollars in a war in Iraq and big corporations are making record profits. This is the final result of the "trickle down" economics we've been living with. I personally hope that we will see a major change in November, but the effects of these past eight years will take their toll and no new administration can protect us from the brunt of it. In fact, the new administration will be blamed for the pain the current administration has caused.

In the face of all this doom and gloom how can I continue to have fun? It seems almost unpatriotic to be walking around with a smile on my face. Well, the smile on my face costs NOTHING. The price of happiness doesn't go up with the price of gasoline. Yes, we are cutting back on unnecessary expenditures, but the stuff we are cutting out doesn't seem to impact on our happiness. In fact, having sold our second car, selling our house, and selling other stuff we have accumulated just seems to make us feel lighter. Last night Elyn said she had never seen me as happy as I am right now. I am lightening myself up and I'm encouraging myself to enjoy every minute. This is the happiest time of my life so far and it doesn't cost a cent.

No comments:

Post a Comment