Monday, July 7, 2008

Death Again

Somehow writing about intimacy and gratitude brings me back around to death—the ultimate “all good things come to an end” and a sense of how temporary everything is. Sure I’m having fun today, and sure last night was beautiful and sweet, but its all just temporary.

When I’m in the dentist’s chair I console myself that as bad as this is, it is temporary. What about “as good as this is, it is temporary?” Is that something I can use to depress myself? Yes, certainly. Why don’t I choose to do it? Well, I can say that being depressed is no fun, but that just begs the question.

Wait a minute. I just wrote “CHOOSE.” I don’t choose to go down that road. Is not choosing depression and fear just a matter of denial? That’s not what it feels like. It feels like, well, choosing. I feel empowered when I choose my experience. Empowerment is fun. I don’t feel any need to “forget” that I’m going to die. I am simply choosing to live this moment and I’m savoring how each sensation feels. Now THAT is fun!

Here's a prayer that just showed up in my in box. It seems appropriate to add it here.

"May I have the courage today
To live the life that I would love,
To postpone my dream no longer
But do at last what I came here for
And waste my heart on fear no more."
For an interesting perspective on fear of death and dying go to this New York Times article. Click Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment