Monday, July 14, 2008

Down Among the Dead Folks

One of my hobbies that I haven’t written about is genealogy. Some branches of my family seem to have been cut off abruptly. This is particularly true of my father's side of the family. Other branches seem to stretch back over the centuries in an unbroken line. Just this morning I found a branch that goes back into fourteenth century.

William Moleyns Molines was born on January 7, 1377 in London, England. He married Margery Whalesborough and had at least one child, Eleanor De Moleyns (spellings were very fluid in the 15th century). William died on June 8, 1425 at the age of 48, a rather old age for those times.

I’m not quite sure of what the attraction is to genealogy, but I find myself spending spare minutes on Ancestry.com and the Latter Day Saints (Mormon) site searching out old census records and the family trees of other addicts. You may wonder why the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints would maintain the best genealogy records. Well, I’ll tell you.

One of the tenants of the Mormon faith is that people can be baptized into the LDS Church even after they have died. When I search the LDS records there will usually be a baptism date sometime in the twentieth or twenty-first century. This makes the LDS church the largest denomination in the world. They have taken in as much of human race as they can find, without the permission of the people involved. Sound strange to you? Well, to me too, but I enjoy the depth and accuracy of their records, which are stored in salt mines in Utah I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment