Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Obama Disappointment

All around me I’m hearing everything from disappointment to outrage at the positions that Senator Obama has recently taken. Perhaps you can get some idea of the left-leaning circles I travel in. Yes, I am not liking much of what I’m hearing about letting the telecoms off, voting for war funding, faith-based initiatives, etc., and I’m sure I’m going to hear more things that don’t exactly reflect my own thinking. Am I going to stop supporting Obama for president? Not likely unless I see some better alternative.

It is very easy to hear only what we want to hear from politicians and they obfuscate enough to make that easy. When they get around to specific proposals is when the shit hits the fan, as with telecom, faith based initiatives, and war funding. For example, it was easy to overlook all his statements about bringing the left and right together in this country. Well, you can't do that and please us lefties (or the right either). He is consensus building and he is very nuanced. I would invite you to watch his actual speech on faith based initiatives on YouTube: Click Here. I also would recommend a piece in the Huffington Post on the subject. Click Here.

Yes, Obama is a politician and, as Harry Truman said, he had a choice of jobs as a young person—either be a politician or play piano in a whorehouse, and he didn’t see too much difference between those two. If Obama wasn’t a politician he wouldn’t stand a chance and wouldn’t have gotten where he is. What do we expect? I’m still feeling that he is better than the alternatives I see—a continuation of criminals running the White House.

So yes, I’m going to continue to support Obama and try to get as many people registered to vote and going to the polls here in New Mexico as I can. It is the only system of government we have and we’ve got to try to make it better or it will just continue to get worse.

2 comments:

  1. You offer a very sane reaction to what's going on with Obama lately. I appreciate that. And I agree.

    (I also came over from the TimeGoesBy boob post.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nikki. My opinion has not changed yet, but we are getting deeper and deeper into "real politic."

    ReplyDelete